Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Hi, My Name is Kristen and I'm a Sewer and a Knitter

Hi, my name is Kristen.  I am a domestic engineer from Arizona with 4 great kids and 1 handsome husband that I've been married to for almost 22 years.  First and foremost my passion in life is my family, but after they are taken care of I've been known to become bored fairly easily and one thing I've learned about myself is that me and boredom do not do well together.  If there's no project in sight then I am not a happy camper. Luckily for me, I've found a way to combat that with two loves; sewing and knitting.

When I was a child my mom taught me how to sew a few simple things, and like most serious sewists I started making a few outfits for my Barbies and other dolls.  Then, when I was in sixth grade, my mom signed me up for a summer school sewing class at the local junior high with my best friend.  We had a lot of fun, but I hadn't fallen in love with sewing just yet.

Fast forward a few years to when I was a young mom with 2 little girls.  I loved staying at  home with my girls, but at the end of the day I needed some time to myself and a way to express myself creatively.  At first I started out with quilting which I did for a little while, but eventually I started sewing clothes again, for my girls and for myself. I fell in love with sewing and haven't looked back.

In the last few years I've managed to take quite a few sewing classes at the local community college.  Lucky for me, Mesa Community College has a wonderful fashion design and merchandising program that I've been able to take advantage of with classes like Sewing with Knits, Sewing with a Serger, Alterations, Pattern Making, and Couture Sewing.  It's been a blast!

My next passion is knitting.  Again, when my girls were little, I spent a lot of time waiting for them while they were in dance class, sports practices, etc.  It was pretty darn boring.  At about that time my younger sister Amy taught me some knitting basics and I was saved!  I brought my knitting every where with me and when I found myself in a position to wait I whipped it out and the time flew by.  I also found that knitting is a great help when my husband hogs the remote and we end up watching a sporting event.  This happens a lot at our house since my husband is a serious sports fanatic.

With all of my sewing and knitting I thought it was time to document my projects, perhaps share with a few friends, and hopefully meet new and like minded new friends.  Thus the birth of Passion Pursual.  I hope you enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment